Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:50:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        zhaoc@cloud9.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/20010310105656.A70989@earl-grey.cloud9.net> you write:
>\- Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au> stated on
>/-	[Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 04:49:12AM -0800]:
>
>> I have the NDA'ed docs for the Intel gig and fxp cards.  After Intel's
>> spectacular efforts to bury Johnathan Lemon's driver for their gig card
>> (that outperformed the Intel Linux driver by something like a factor of 5),
>> I have lost all respect for Intel's networking division.
>
>Sorry to hear that.  The last thing I can find on the Intel gig stuff
>was dated at the end of 1999, where Johnathan Lemon wasn't sure if
>he could release his version, and Matt Jacob had a version hacked from
>the released Linux drivers.  I take it Intel didn't give the hoped for
>permission.

Nope.  The last communication I had with Intel was around last May.
Initially, the Field Engineer indicated that Intel wanted to get a
copy of my driver in order to clean it up and put it on Intel's website.

I provided Intel with the driver, and they passed it to their engineering
team.  The last I heard was that they claimed the driver had 'issues',
but were unwilling to tell me what those were, or what I would need to do
in order to release the driver.  The message I received indicated that they
were investigating simply developing their own driver for BSD instead.

I never heard anything from Intel since then.

So, the status is:

   1. I have a working high performance driver, but cannot legally
      release the source.  I have no idea why, since it doesn't reveal
      any information that can't already be found in the Linux driver.
   2. Intel has my driver, under the BSD license, so they could release
      it if they feel like.  Apparently they do not see the need to do so.

If anyone wants to lean on their Intel reps to see if they can get the
situation changed, or at least provide me with an explanation for what
I see as their idiotic behavior, I'd be happy to work with them.
--
Jonathan