Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:42:47 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Hassan Halta <hassan@cs.earlham.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling top in SMP

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 08:00:35PM -0500, Hassan Halta wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> 	I hope some person will be able to help in this problem. I have a
> SMP enviorment with 2 CPUs, and things are working just fine, and the
> kernel recognizes everything. But The only problem that's top is
> misbehaving. However, it recognizes that there are 2 CPUs in the systems,
> but in the top stats it shows that every process is 0.00% of the CPU.
> Which's not true at all, we ran some testing to hammer the CPU and
> processes that should take 99.9% of the CPU, but it's always stuck on
> 0.00%. I tried to compile top which exists in /usr/src/contrib/top/ and it
> turns out that it's missing some modules of lists so that it can go ahead
> and compile, so I got that list, and got the codes for that, and tried to
> compile, but top just doesn't compile. I am not sure if I am in the right
> track by compiling top on the system. I was also wondering if there's
> another way to solve that problem.

You don't compile things in /usr/src/contrib in FreeBSD, that's just
where parts of the vendor code live.  Top is rebuilt from usr.bin/top.

Make sure your userland is in sync with your kernel; if you update
your kernel sources and rebuild your kernel, you must rebuild world as
well, otherwise some things (like top) are likely to stop working.

Kris

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1--