Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:23:59 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        rank1seeker@gmail.com
Cc:        Roman Divacky <rdivacky@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BUG: 9.0 stage 2 boot (/boot/boot)

On Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:41:48 am rank1seeker@gmail.com wrote:
> > Do you only see the "No " message?  Do you see the '/boot.config: /loader'
> > message?  (Do you have RBX_QUIET enabled perhaps? (-q))  Do you get the actual
> > boot2 prompt at all?
>
> I don't have RBX_QUIET enabled nor any other flags
>
> Let the pic tell a story:
> http://www.starforce.biz/stage2boot.jpg

Ahh, this is helpful.  You do see the '/boot.config: /loader' message.

> It is also valid for your latest patch
>

> > Hmm, I think the problem is that 'opts' has garbage instead of being
> > initialized to zero.
> >
> > Try this (also at www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/boot2_opts.patch):
>

> Patch eliminates possible error, of manual "intervention"
> That is, a perfectly valid patch being classified as invalid.

I have no idea what you mean here.  However, it seems you don't have junk in
your 'opts' variable anyway.

Hmm, you could try adding some more debugging to boot2.c to see exactly what
is failing.  For example, does the first call to 'parse()' fail and clear
autoboot?

Oh, garbage in cmd[] could be bad.  We might read beyond the end of the file.
Try http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/boot2_cmd.patch

--
John Baldwin