Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 07:36:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Today's "dup alloc" info...

I had just seen a posting to freebsd-hackers, where the user was running
a 2.2-GAMMA kernel with DIAGNOSTIC defined; and got a vrele() panic.

So, I thought; perhaps if I tried a DIAGNOSTIC kernel something would
make itself apparent.  (This is 2.1.6.1 sources.)

Unfortunately, although this particular kernel did demonstrate the
problem, no information ensued...

Also, today's news-server panic was "ifree: freeing free inode".  This,
of course, fits with my current model where blocks are not actually
written to the disk... so when the inode was allocated; it's data
wasn't written.  The inode was later free'd; a bread() of the particular
inode gets 0 and panics and the free routine panics.  [This is with
an IDE machine; 386dx 8-meg, and the 2.1.6.1-RELEASE kernel Jordan built.]

Just more information to "chew on."

	- Dave Rivers -