Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:44:20 +1200
From:      "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        "Kal Torak" <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        "Jonathan Belson" <jon@witchspace.com>, "FreeBSD-stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: nVidia Cards /w FreeBSD (3D Acceleration)

:: If there is enough interest from us they should be willing to
:: make ports to
:: FreeBSD.. I mean they support BeOS, how many people even use
:: that, let alone
:: have nVidia cards? Surly we could match them in numbers!

Check the Utah-GLX and other mailing lists on this issue. It might be
possible to get Nvidia to port the binary kernel driver for Linux to FreeBSD
(provided that it's possible to use such drivers under FreeBSD, I don't
know), but they ain't gonna release the full specs.

If I understand it right, Nvidia's reasoning for this is that if they give
out the full specs to Open Source developers without an NDA, the clone
makers would copy their the specs in an instant and they might as well shut
up shop and go home. Before you lambast Nvidia for wanting to keep its IP
under wraps, it appears that none of the other video card makers (ATI,
Matrox) have handed over their "crown jewels" to Open Source developers.
Nvidia is at least providing an optimised driver for its cards -- Matrox and
ATI haven't, but they seem to be supporting Red Hat's Precision Insight
offshoot, which is providing the DRI for XFree86.

-- Juha