Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 03:37:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make release fails because kernel is too large

 > Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com> writes:
 > > On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
 > >
 > > > What about using 1.68 or 1.72 MB floppies?
 > >
 > > I think that this would drastically reduce the amount of
 > > FreeBSD-friendly hardware out there.
 >
 > Yes, but don't Microsoft do similiar sorts of things with the Win95
 > boot floppies?  I know that doesn't grant a right to do so by God, but
 > it's a fairly clear idea of how much hardware *does* support it.

I have to agree with Jordan's "no".

Only a few (modern) BIOS versions are able to read and boot
from non-standard floppy formats (> 18 sectors/track).
Many older BIOS versions don't support this.

As far as Win95 floppies are concerned:  The boot floppy has
a standard 1440 kb format, but the remaining floppies have
non-standard formats.  This is safe, because they're read by
Microsoft's own code, not by the BIOS.

If the FreeBSD install floppy is split into two, the second
one could be 1680 kb, provided that FreeBSD's own floppy
driver is used.  (1720 kb is a bad idea anyway, because it
requires > 80 tracks, which can be a problem with certain
no-name floppies or disk drives.)

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  My 2 cents:  I'd prefer to have _one_ install floppy.
This is very convenient, especially if there are problems and
you have to experiment and boot several times.

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany