Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:59:19 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@webmail.sub.ru>
Subject:   Re: Please help with PF-based redirector

--nextPart4045303.TY0IIbxdmX

On Sunday 15 April 2007 20:11, Alex Povolotsky wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to set up a box as round-robin TCP proxy. Of course, I'm
> trying to do everything on kernel-level.
>
> This simple setup
>
> rdr on sk0 proto tcp from any to any port =3D smtp -> <outbound> port 25
> round-robin
>
> should work. At least, I thought so.
>
> However, attempt to connect to port 25 yielded unexpected result. pfctl
> -s state shows
>
> self tcp 89.108.94.212:25 <- 89.108.94.91:25 <-
> 89.108.94.211:56975       CLOSED:SYN_SENT

Your test hosts seem to be on the same subnet.  This does not work as you=20
seems to think.  In the same broadcast domain it is not possible for the=20
pf box to forward the packet on behalf of the sending host (otherwise it=20
would confuse the recipient or the switch).  Instead it emits icmp=20
redirects which are ignored in a normal setup.

You have to separate the two networks in order for redirect to work the=20
way you want it to.