Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 12:38:40 +0100
From:      "Ian Vaudrey" <ivaudrey@test.nemko.ltd.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <mjanosi@numacorp.com>
Subject:   Re: What to buy?

> From: Miki Janosi <mjanosi@numacorp.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: What to buy?
> Date: 01 May 1997 22:00
>
>     I want to buy a machine specifically for FreeBSD. I have version
> 2.1.0 but plan on buying a new CD of the latest version. And I'd like

> some tips. This is what I plan on buying.
>
>     Cyrix 6x6 +200 motherboard

The Cyrix processors are reputedly very quick, with the exception of a
lousy floating point unit. What would worry me is the power
requirements, at around twice that of the nearest equivalent Intel
part. This means more stress on the power supply and motherboard, and
for that matter the higher ambient temperature in your box might not
exactly be welcome news to your other components.

AFAIK, motherboards supporting the 75MHz clock required by the
Cx686-200 are still pretty thin on the ground. At least one MB that
does support this seems to have reliability problems of it's own -
check out the Supermicro newsgroup if you have news access.

In short, you might want to ask yourself what is more important to you,
speed or stability. If you decide on the latter, I'd personally opt for
an AMD K5 running on a GigaByte 586HX motherboard. This combination is
rock solid and still pretty quick. If you really need more speed and
funds allow, consider Pentium Pro.

>     2940 Adaptec SCSI controller

There have been several reports on this list of driver problems with
this board. On the other hand, list members consistently report that
the NCR/Symbios 800 series equivalents have no such problems and are
just as quick, while being considerably cheaper.

>     16x CD-ROM IDE (Mitsumi?)

Again, there have been several reports on this list of problems with
IDE CDROMs. I'd go for SCSI. You'd probably get much the same
throughput from a decent 8x SCSI drive as from a 16x IDE unit in any
case.

>     8 GB SCSI HD (Seagate?)

I've no experience of Seagate SCSI drives, but I've had several of
their IDE drives fail. The high failure rate of Seagate units has also
been reported on recently in Computer Shopper (UK). I use Fujitsu SCSI
drives in my servers with no failures to date.

>     SCSI Tape Drive (Seagate?)

Travan? No experience of these, so no comments.

>     Video Card Matrix Mellanium 8MB

Ditto. I assume you'll be running X, in which case it would probably be
a good idea to check with the XFree-86 mailing list.

>     Sound Blaster

No problems AFAIK

> I have an agreement that if I can't get the hardware to work with
> FreeBSD I can swap till I get it to work! Please send responses to my

> e-mail address since I got my WWW connection taken away and then had
> to quit the mailing list because of bosses orders.
> Miki Janosi                   NUMA Corporation, Akron, OH
> Tel: (330) 925-5000 x.455     email: mjanosi@numacorp.com

As a sysadmin solid, reliable boxes make me happy. You may well have
different requirements, and this is of course just my two cents.

- Ian