Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 22:13:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        shawn@cpl.net, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> : Why should the FreeBSD people make the port collection work with other
> : OS's? If thats not what some people were suggesting, forget this post.
>
> there are lots of reasons for wanting it.  the ports are more common
> than they are different.  only a limited number of volunteers, etc.

Total all volunteers for all camps and rerun your calculation.  8-).

> however, as a practical matter, the number of differences between the
> systems is large enough to cause enough problems that separate trees
> really are a good thing at this time.

This argues for a metadefinition of distinctions between systems.

I'd even argue that this survey could be reused to great benefit
in eliminating gratuitous differences.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.