Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:27:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird ACPI related problem

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> Get the live-5.0-CURRENT-20021119-JPSNAP.iso from current.freebsd.org
> and burn it. Boot from it (P4), watch it complaining about unable to
> load acpi.ko module at bootup. Exit from fixit mode and get fully up and
> running. Change to /boot/kernel and kldload acpi.ko... BOOM Total hang,
> interrupts doesn't work (numlock is not responsive) and which is most
> weird, loading acpi.ko triggers following on the console:
>
> swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
>
> Is it intended behaviour or what I'm missing here?

Well, it's definitely not intended behavior :-).  A few questions for you:

(1) How much memory does this machine have?  How much swap space is
    configured at the point where you get to the swapspace failure?

(2) What exactly were the messages you pointed out in the bootup regardin
    the load of acpi.ko?  Could you provide us with verbose dmesg output?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories