Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 06:19:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CHAT <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu
Subject:   Re: MPEG Layer 3 (.mp3) audio files

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I'm using mpeg_musicin and musicout, part of the mpegaudio utilities
> in ports.

    Yeah, the mpegaudio-3.9 port looks like an earlier version of this
mysterious archive I found called simply "dist08.tar.gz".  It has the
encode/musicin and decode/musicout utilities, the MPEG tables, a
pcm2aiff utility and a few other things.  I can stick it up on an FTP
site or dig up the URL if there's interest in it.  It takes about 3.6
times as long to encode a 44.1-kHz stereo track at 128 kbps as it does
to play it, on a P200.  :-/

> To grab the tracks, I use Charles Heinrich's cdd utility which you
> can find on various FTP sites (and I have a copy up at
> time.cdrom.com in my anon ftp area, but please get that only as a
> last resort since that's my home machine and I don't have a T1 :-).

    I hope you don't mind if I grabbed it off your machine at 6 am
EST.  ;-) Of course, I stumbled across Charles' home page immediately
after, which has a link to cdd on another site.  ;-)  My "MATSHITA
CD-ROM CR-504 ST23" drive doesn't seem to be supported though.  :(
Charles, what info do you need to add a driver for it to cdd?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)