Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 08:35:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Eddy Deegan <eddyd@dreamworld.demon.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Troubles

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Shawn Ramsey wrote:

> > I would assume it's because mount_msdos expects FAT16 but is getting FAT32
> > (Windows 95 isn't FAT16).
> >
> > > My HDD WD 3.2GB structure: 2GB partition is WIndows95 and 1GB partition is
> > > FREEBSD.
> >
> > Windows 95 is a FAT32 filesystem and regular dos is FAT16.
> > mount_msdos only handles FAT16.
>
> Windows 95 is only Fat32 if formated for Fat32. It also supports VFAT,
> which is a slightly improved FAT, that can do long filenames. DOS however
> can still read this filesystem, and I would think mount_msdos could as
> well. (Though I could be wrong)

I think that if you mount a disk that is bootable under Windows 95 you'll
get the error about the 'directory is not multiple of cluster size'. I
have 3 drives in my system which shares Win95 and FreeBSD. If I mount
drive C using

% mount -r -t msdos /dev/wd0s1 /C

Then I get the warning. If I mount any of my data partitions then I don't.
I wouldn't use FAT32 anywhere... certainly I think FreeBSD would have
problems with it as heaven knows what changes it makes to important
sectors used by the filesystem.

Eddy Deegan.