Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 23:03:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Jacobowitz  <drow@chwest.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl and setuid scripts

In the perl documentation it constantly refers to how certain BSDs set
shell scripts to non-suid due to insecurity.  Having browsed the relevant
(I think) portions of kern_exec.c and imgact_shell.c, I do not think
FreeBSD is one of them.

Right?

That would go along with the fact that perl is apparently built without
the suid emulation (-DDOSUID).

BUT - as soon as I made world, overwriting my former perl - first a 4.0
which came with FreeBSD 2.2.2 however that was compiled, and then a 5.004
built with -DDOSUID against the advice of the Configure program's freebsd
default - with the2.2.5 copy of 4.0 built without -DDOSUID, suid perl
scripts completely stopped working.

What the heck am I missing here?  The script is definitely NOT being run
setuid ($< == $> == my-real-id-not-the-scripts-suid).  Is something
broken, or am I just blind and confused?