Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 08:36:52 +0100
From:      Robin Schilham <co9@xs4all.nl>
To:        Leonardo Medina <leo@Fone123.COM>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quick question

Leonardo Medina wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm getting a Bind to port 22 failed error, I have set up our box very nice
> and neat with correct public ip addreess, etc... and I still keep getting
> this error when I do a sshd command, I cannot ping (only my own box, but
> that really just gives me kernel stuff...).

Perhaps you are confusing the ssh daemon (sshd) with the ssh client
(ssh). When you attempt to start sshd when it is already up and
running and listening at port 22, you will see something like this
in your syslog:

sshd[68413]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already
in use.
sshd[68413]: fatal: Cannot bind any address.

> I look at the connection and its working just fine I even plugged it onto
> another device and it works; I installed win2k on the box and it works just
> fine, but for some reason I cannot get FreeBSD running...
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leo

Regards,