Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 1995 15:03:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        ljeditor@ssc.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freefall.FreeBSD.org

Phil asked for email responses if you're a *BSD user subscribing/reading
Linux Journal.

I'm one, my wife's a secondary reader.  We've got FreeBSD, Novell Dos and
OS/2 on our main Internet connection box and FreeBSD, IBM  PCDOS7 and
OS2 on my laptop.  (Both these are ISA 486DX33s.)

Her machine runs Linux, OS/2 and Novell Dos.  My hacking box (386sx25)
runs either Linux (started with 99.10), FreeBSD (started with 1.02)
or NetBSD (started with 0.8).

I am not a BSD bigot.  I prefer System V init and multiple run states.
I think Linux and the two BSDs are excellent Unix systems (which are
as solid as SunOS or HP-UX).

I like Linux, but I much prefer the single BSD code base to the
Linux anarchy.  I'm very much in favor of all three OS's and I've been
running a number of Linux binaries on FreeBSD through the Linux
emulation code built in to 2.1.0.

A large number of us started looking at 386BSD in the early days
and switched  to Linux for it's great range of hardware support.
I find that both OS's are pretty much equal in hardware support.
As a matter of fact -- my Thinkpad 365 ran FreeBSD2.0.5 out of the
box and wouldn't install the 2.0 Red Hat release from the IDE CDROM.
(The problem seems to be in the IDE CD driver and the Teac IDE drive).

Red Hat's support blamed it on the "microchannel architecture" when
the Thinkpad's a straight ISA bus design.

I think that there's something to be said for the innovations coming
out of Linux and the solid time-tested networking code in FreeBSD.

With both of them the users benefit.

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter        | The postmaster always pings twice.
 Lakewood MicroSystems               | 17 Meredith Drive,
 908-389-3592                        | Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
 pechter@shell.monmouth.com          |