Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 17:13:58 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netnoot - INT 18 device

> I got a new machine (500 MHz PIII) with a 12 GB disk (nothing nowadays
> though :-). There was already NT 4.0 installed and a 3.9 GB unitialized
> partition left.
>
> I booted the 3.3 CD, chose Custom and tried to create a FreeBSD
> partition. 13200 blocks were left. I tried both, half of it and
> the whole left partition but afterwards in the label editor
> there was no entry  I could define my filesystems on.
> Weird.

Some more details here would really help.  Lots more details, like the
exact size of the NT partition, which entry it occupied in the slice
table, the various disk geometries in play (BIOS, NT, FreeBSD).  The
system boot messages from FreeBSD, the output with debugging enabled, the
output in Wizard mode in the slice editor.  Without these it's too hard
to even begin to guess what's going on.

> Maybe a problem with large disks?

Not AFAIK.

> Maybe that the FreeBSD partition has to be in the first 2 GB of a disk?

Nope, modulo some booting issues on some broken BIOSsen.

> Maybe because I could not create FreeBSD slices?

Er, if you don't create a slice, of course you can't create any
partitions.

> while studying the BIOS boot options I saw ATAPI IDE, FD, and Int 18 device.
> Does FreeBSD support Int 18 Device?

No.

> I assume this could be something like netboot, couldn't it?

It could be.

> OTOH, the PCI 100 MBit ethernet card has a EPROM socket on it...
>
> With a 100MBit network, diskless could become interesting and I could
> try to netboot this machine.

Not until we complete the software support for it.