Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 11:36:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        rsnow@legend.txdirect.net, paul@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and swap

> : Interesting.  You may have seen my posts about "how to add swapfile?"
> : because my swap kept getting eaten and never flushed.  Last night I did
> : a test and started X and everything looked fine until I ran Netscape and
> : browsed around.  When I finished my Xserver was 14M.  (in about 45minutes)
> :
> : BTW, It stayed at 14MB when I exited Netscape.
>
> It won't give memory back to the system.

I seem to remember that our malloc was pretty stupid about freeing up memory
but do you mean the X server never gives back the memory it grabs? If so,
what's the reasoning?

When you're running lots of X clients, like netsape and xv then you're
going to use a LOT of memory in one go and if the X server never gives it
back you're in trouble.

> Also, netscape (at least in some versions) eats huge amounts of server
> resources by creating largish pixmaps.  At least that's what I've seen
> here with 1.0N.  Purhaps that is your problem?

Well, netscape seems to be the cause but I'm not sure it's the problem since
I'd expect the memory to be freed when I kill it.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul