Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:35:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        tbuswell@mediaone.net (Ted Buswell)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM/ncr messages..

Ted Buswell wrote...

> On a -current system that was CVSup'd and installed today, I'm
> getting some interesting messages and was wondering if
> anyone had any insight.  The messages occur when doing
> significant I/O [rm -rf, buildworld, etc.]  No softupdates
> or anything.
>
> Attached is my dmesg output.
> ncr.c is rev 1.128
> cam_xpt.c is rev 1.5

Justin fixed some more bugs in the NCR driver today that might help your
problem.  Get revision 1.129 of ncr.c, and see if that helps.

The problems in the earlier versions of the NCR driver are basically caused
by drives that send queue full messages.  I see you have a number of Atlas
II drives.  You'll get lots of queue full messages from them, which would
cause the problem you're seeing.

The firmware on your Atlas II's (LXY4) is also somewhat buggy.  The newer
LYK8 firmware fixes some of the bugs:

ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Firmware/Atlas-II/LYK8/

When there is a high amount of traffic on the bus, drives with the LXY4
firmware sometimes just go "out to lunch" and don't come back.  CAM deals
with this by sending a BDR to the device after 10 seconds to wake it up.

With the LYK8 firmware, the drives won't go "out to lunch", but they will
still send the queue full messages continually.  We deal with this via
quirk entries for the Atlas II that don't let the number of queue entries
go below 24.

You may not run into this problem since you're not running at Ultra speeds.
I ran into it quite frequently on one of my machines at work that has two
Atlas II's and a Plextor CDROM on an Adaptec 2940.

If you see your drives behaving like that, though, upgrading the firmware
may help.

> Should messages like this be going to -scsi or -current?

You'll probably get a faster response by mailing -scsi.  Sometimes there is
a lot of noise (and lag) on -current.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry