Date:      27 Sep 2001 12:26:05 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

Barney, you wrote:

> At first glance, you can't do what you want with only a /29.

I wish I knew what I want as well as you seem to :-).

> Every "link" requires a /30, because the first and last addresses
> cannot be assigned to interfaces.

Yes, which is why I said I could only have two of the required
three subnets, using a standard, "correct" design.  But thanks
for noting that; I expect my list of current IP assignments seemed
to imply my ignorance of that "requirement".  But it seems to
work, regardless; just awkwardly.  I'm thinking it would be nice
if the network software could do for me what I am now doing manually
or with scripts. But, there are likely reasons for it I don't see yet.

> can get an Ethernet to work as a point-to-point link because the
> driver needs to arp.  (Yes of course the crossover cables work -
> that's not the point.)

I don't get any of that.  But I'll do some net searching later and
try to learn some details of that point-to-point stuff.

> One thing you might try is to replace the DSL router with a mere
> DSL modem, or, if possible, put the DSL router into bridge mode.
> That way, the firewall can use the external address that was
> assigned to the DSL router (which is in some other netblock than
> your /29) as its external address, and then a hub or switch on
> the internal side will connect all your other boxes.  I run my
> DSL /29 this way.

Good suggestion, but I doubt my ISP would go for it.  I had to
reconfigure it from bridge to router when I switched to them.
(Before that I only used one computer and DHCP).  You probably
already know that the DSL box has many more features when run
in routing mode, though its debatable if they are worth much.

> This is not a matter of documentation - what you're asking route
> to do cannot be done.

I think it IS a matter of documentation that I have to resort to
experimentation to learn what "route" and "ifconfig" will do and
what they do and even the fine points of their command syntax.

Also, I could say that "route" (and other software) IS doing what I
want; it's just awkward to get it to do it and hard to learn how.

I hope that didn't read too snippy for you.  I do appreciate your
having sent your comments and FreeBSD contributors for making it
available at all, and I hope to help make it better (and already
have in a few PRs and doc patches).