Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 2020 05:53:56 -0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: git tools for building in base?

from tech-lists:

> As subject - what will there be in base to interact with the new git repo?
> I mean, right now, for svn there is svnlite. What for git?

> Shouldn't it be in base before the move to git?

Good question, and I hope the developers and others in charge are reading your post.

You could be sure to have the ports tree downloaded and in place, ready for action to build and install git if you haven't already.  They (ports tree) will stay on svn for some time after freebsd-current switches to git.

I am not sure if there is or will be a lite version of git.  Current could add this if feasible at any time, but stable and release might not be able to do this between releases (security update?).

NetBSD users face a similar problem with their upcoming switch from cvs to hg (Mercurial).

Tom