Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 18:40:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: udp question related to icmp...

[added -multimedia in Bcc because the problem seems to affect vat...]

> Further investigation in vat sources (net.cc) shows that the problem is
> well known (although not mentioned in the manpages). I was almost going
> to apply the fix to the kernel mentioned in vat's net.cc when I
> realized that after all it is not such a terrible idea to report failures
> (due to ICMP port unreachable) up to the application, if nothing else
> to avoid flooding the net with undesired data.

more on this: from vat's sources (net.cc):

                         * This bug originated at CSRG in Berkeley
                         * and was present in the BSD Reno networking
                         * code release.  It has since been fixed
                         * in 4.4BSD and OSF-3.x.  It is know to remain
                         * in AIX-4.1.3.
                         *
                         * A fix is to change the following lines from
                         * kern/uipc_socket.c:
                         *
                         *      if (so_serror)
                         *              snderr(so->so_error);
                         *
                         * to:
                         *
                         *      if (so->so_error) {
                         *              error = so->so_error;
                         *              so->so_error = 0;
                         *              splx(s);
                         *              goto release;
                         *      }

looking at our kern/uipc_socket.c (i am running 2.2.1) it appears
that the fix has been applied in some way only in soreceive, not
in sosend. So I am a bit unsure about the above comment related
to 4.4BSD ... this would also explain why, in some cases, when I fire vat
using unicast before the remote party, i cannot be heard...

	Luigi