Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:22:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Dave Chapeskie <dchapes@golden.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "Bryn Wm. Moslow" <bryn@nwlink.com>
Subject:   Re: Password file builds

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Dave Chapeskie wrote:

> I think that if done properly the above changes should be incorporated
> into FreeBSD and the text password files made optional.  Ie, on a small
> system like my home system leave things as they are but allow for ISPs
> and the like to do away with the text versions.

  The biggest problem with this is, that there are no tools to fix or
verify db files.  If the /etc/pwd.db or /etc/spwd.db becomes damaged,
you're screwed.

  Also, there are locking issue with in place updates of db files.  Do the
pw routines in libc even do locking?  I don't think so.  What happens if
someone calls getpwnam() at the while someone else is writing a new entry
into the database?  Bang, you're dead.

> --
> Dave Chapeskie, DDM Consulting
> E-Mail: dchapes@golden.net