Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 09:10:28 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot hangs on v9 system at CD device probe

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Marius Strobl
<marius@alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 05:13:44PM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 14:54 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> > I sent a note about this a couple of weeks ago, but have not heard
>> > anything. I'm really getting a bit desperate.
>> >
>> > I have a system that I am trying to upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0. I have
>> > built it and installed the kernel, but it fails to boot. The boot
>> > freezes after probing for my hard drives during the probe of the
>> > CDROM. It just sits there, seemingly forever, though I have never
>> > waited longer then a few minutes.
>> >
>> > The system is a SuperMicro C25BX mother board. The DVD is PATA,
>> > reported on boot of 8-Stable as:
>> > acd0: DVDR <ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P/9P59> at ata2-master UDMA66
>> >
>> > If I unplug the CDROM, it boots fine, but I really need the device on
>> > the system, so I really can't leave it unplugged. Also, after the 9
>> > kernel is installed, my Mk file have been updated so that I can't
>> > build some ports if I boot the 8.2 kernel. Does anyone remember this
>> > being reported by others? It was most likely on current, as it was
>> > probably prior to the release of 9. I googled around, but could not
>> > find it.
>> >
>> > I'd really appreciate it if anyone can point me toward a solution.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>>
>> When faced with a mystery like this I sometimes go into the mode of
>> "poke it with a stick and see if it twitches." =A0If you can get it to
>> twitch at all, maybe that's a starting point. =A0In this case, I guess I
>> might start with seeing if setting hw.ata.atapi_dma=3D0 in the loader
>> makes any difference.
>>

> Note that hw.ata.atapi_dma isn't honored by 9.0 with options ATA_CAM
> (default in GENERIC). Support for that loader tuneable was only
> resurrected rather recently (but is available in stable/9). The
> equivalent for 9.0 would be setting hint.ata.X.mode to PIO4 where
> X is the number of the ata(4) device attached for the channel the
> CDROM is connected to.
> ATA_CAM is indeed known to break ATAPI DMA for some ATA controllers
> though. What's the `pciconf -lv` output for this one?

Good point. I had forgotten about the hw.ata.atapi_dma removal and was
not even awarethat it had been recently re-enabled.
My controller is:
atapci0@pci0:17:4:0:	class=3D0x010185 card=3D0x82131283 chip=3D0x82131283
rev=3D0x00 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor     =3D 'Integrated Technology Express (ITE) Inc'
    device     =3D 'IDE Controller (IT8213F)'
    class      =3D mass storage
    subclass   =3D ATA

It is used ONLY for the CD/DVD as all other disks use the 3ware RAID contro=
ller.

Unfortunately, the system is not located where I am, so I can't really
try anything until I get over there. Maybe later today I can run into
that office and try some of the suggestions. I can certainly build a
kernel without ATA_CAM.

Thanks!
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer