Date:      14 Apr 2003 12:43:35 -0400
From:      Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about window mamager

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 23:55, FLYING LI wrote:
> I installed KDE,window maker ,fvwm and afterstep when
> I install the system .and I set KDE as default window
> manager.Now i can enter KDE normally.but when i exit
> KDE  and try to run wmaker,fvwm & afterstep,there is
> only an error "can not open display"" ".I think that
> the window manager have not been configured rightly.
> but i can not confirm the path of config file and do
> not know how to config them.would you please to help
> me?
> thank you!

How are you trying to start wmaker, fvvm, & afterstep? It sounds to me
like you're just running the window manager executable, but there's not
X session running. Try using 'startx' instead .. You'll need to make an
.xinitrc file to tell it what window manager to load, but that's trivial
..

man startx

--
Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>