Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:59:56 +0100
From:      Alfred Bartsch <bartsch@dssgmbh.de>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to clean up /

Am 30.11.2012 08:16, schrieb Kevin Oberman:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Daniel O'Connor
> <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> On 30/11/2012, at 12:14, mbsd <mbsd@isgroup.com.ua> wrote:
>>> Ξ ~ → du -sh /boot/kernel 59M   kernel
>>>
>>> Try to recompile your kernel without debug.
>>
>> Or delete /boot/kernel/*.symbols.

You may suppress the installation of the *.symbols files by inserting
the following statement into /etc/make.conf:

# prevent installation of "*.symbols" in /boot/kernel
INSTALL_NODEBUG=        yes

>> It would be Really Nice (tm) if they could be put into /usr
>> instead since there is virtually no benefit to them being in /
>> (since they are only used for debugging).
>
> I have long wondered why the kernel debug symbols were moved into
> /kernel. The only thing I can come up with was the desire to
> retain symbols for kernel.old, which the old system deleted. I'm
> not sure, but I think the change was made when the symbols files
> were added for all of the modules. I'd meed to dig back in the
> archived to track down the change.
>
> In any case, it's hardly difficult to come up with a scheme for
> keeping symbols for the current and old kernels and modules in /var
> or /usr and keep / from exceeding a gig on an amd64 system. (No,
> it's not there today, but it's disturbingly close.).
>
> Moving the Linux emulation shadow root out of root would also
> help.

In our environment we keep the *.symbols files for debugging purpose,
but do not build all available modules. This saves lots of space in /
and building time.
The needed modules are defined in /etc/make.conf:
MODULES_OVERRIDE        opensolaris
MODULES_OVERRIDE+=      zfs
etc.

If we need another module, we simply add it to this list. "make
buildkernel && make installkernel" installs it into /boot/kernel,
including .symbols file.
Thus our / file system  is about 30% filled (amd64 / 1G)

- --
Regards
Alfred Bartsch
Data-Service GmbH