Date:      Wed, 04 May 2022 04:06:02 -0700
From:      "Pat Maddox" <pat@patmaddox.com>
To:        freebsd-erlang@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   package mix release works, port doesn't? (and neither is self-contained)

Hi, I am trying to build a package from a mix release.

My first attempt used pkg-create, and it was successful. I can run `make =

package`, install the package, and then run `ex_ample start_iex`. =

Here=E2=80=99s that Makefile: =

https://github.com/patmaddox/ex_ample/blob/5814a1bb921ef3c045852b375fa54b=
c7b93c0565/Makefile. =

It does require me to have an erlang runtime installed to run it, which =

was surprising. The elixir docs say that mix releases don=E2=80=99t need =

erlang or elixir to run them, they=E2=80=99re supposed to be self-contain=
ed.

Then I decided to try building a port with poudriere. I successfully =

built the package, but it won=E2=80=99t run. Running `ex_ample start_iex`=
 =

fails with an error about missing /usr/local/lib/erlang24/bin/erl as =

well.

When I _do_ install erlang-runtime24 (or any erlang package), `ex_ample =

start_iex` crashes:

{"init terminating in =

do_boot",{load_failed,[supervisor,proc_lib,lists,logger_simple_h,logger_c=
onfig,logger_backend,logger_server,logger_filters,logger,kernel,heart,gen=
_server,gen_event,gen,file_io_server,file_server,filename,file,ets,error_=
logger,erl_parse,erl_lint,erl_eval,code_server,code,application_master,ap=
plication_controller,application,error_handler]}}.

So my questions are:

1. What is going on with poudriere that=E2=80=99s different, where the pa=
ckage =

runs fine but the built port crashes?
2. How do I fix it?
3. Why do the package and port require an erlang runtime to run, if =

I=E2=80=99m using mix release?

Pat