Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:29:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI-II vs Ultra-SCSI

> Actually, looking through the SCSI FAQ, it appears that the 1542B is
> 5MB/s, the 1542CF gets you 10.

yes, and they both use the 50-pin connectors that are *not* on wide and
ultra scsi drives.

> > You would be well off getting a better card(PCI), such as NCR/Symbios
> > cards. Very cheap, and peform very well.
>
> I think it was also in the FAQ that *any* current IDE would be higher
> performance than the 1542B. I have a Gigabyte MB with Triton II with
> the 2 EIDE controllers.

this is the usual argument against scsi, but it is simply wrong.  they
key to scsi is that the controller and devices are intelligent.  they
handle a lot of the I/O processing on their own *without* CPU
intervention.  EIDE requires CPU assistance for just about everything.
if you have a lot of I/O on your machine, performance will suffer because
the CPU will be handling so many of the EIDE interrupts.

always go with scsi if cost isn't your absolute highest priority.

b3n