Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:13:55 +0200
From:      "Per Berger" <peberge@hem2.passagen.se>
To:        "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "-kevin-" <kathey@pobox.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SV: Java and Gateway

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Till: -kevin- <kathey@pobox.com>
Kopia: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Datum: den 14 september 1998 08:17
Ämne: Re: Java and Gateway

>On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, -kevin- wrote:
>
>> I have a dual hosted FreeBSD machine.
>> I use it so that all my machines at home can share the one real IP address
>> I have.  All the gateway stuff works great with one exception.  In Netscape
>> Navigator on a WinNT 4.0 machine on my intranet accessing the web via the
>> dual-hosted FreeBSD machine, if I encounter a page which has Java on it
>> then Netscape says "Starting Java..." and never returns.  I have to kill
>> it.  What do I have to do to FreeBSD to get this to work?  I believe it
>> used to work when this same NT machine was connected directly to the internet.
>
>I'd blame NT first.  It should work.  The server doesn't give a rat's
>behind if you're serving Java, PHP3 or whatever pages.
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

Just a thought... This sounds like what happened to me a while ago...

Do you have SP3 installed? Do you know of the Java bug when running NT4 SP3? If you have your color settings to "Truecolor" Java won't work; it will hang any app trying to run Java.

There are two solutions:

* change your color settings to anything "below" true color.

* apply the patch from microsoft ftp-site (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/nt40/hotfixes-postSP3/getadmin-fix/); read Q168748.txt first...

Hope this helps...

/Per