Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:43:00 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for a UK based ISP

On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 12:16:29PM +0000, Brian Somers wrote:
> Demon systems (www.demon.net) provide all this for #10+VAT (#11.75)
> per month.

They do almost all. My two sticking points with Demon are:

  1. Their Perl version is 5.003. There were some important OO changes
     between 5.003 and 5.004, and so far, they don't seem inclined to
     upgrade.

  2. They won't let you telnet to a shell on your web account that remotely
     reflects the environment your CGI script will be running in. It's
     much easier to debug a CGI that way. The alternative[1] of

       - write
       - upload
       - test in a browser
       - realise something's not quite right, because of the difference
	 between my test environment and their server, so go to step 1

     will drive me up the wall, as well as increasing my on line charges.

According to my inside contact at Demon (who may or may not be reading this
list, if he is, then "Hi") Demon have no immediate plans to fix point 1,
and will categorically not do point 2.

I had a lovely set up at my last place via a company called Atlas Internet.
They basically said "OK, here's what your Apache virtual server config looks
like, here's your docroot, here's your cgi-bin directory, now don't come
asking silly questions."

Suited me fine. Unfortunately, they've now aimed themselves purely at the
business market.

[1] The other alternative, writing code that "works first time" is a nice
    goal, but I prefer to live in the real world.
--
--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
              It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission