Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:07:22 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        virtualization@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installing FreeBSD 8.4 in bhyve

Hi Steve,

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 8.4 in bhyve, but running into some issues.
> Sysinstall doesn't seem to like the disk. In the partition editor, I get:
>
> Disk name:      vtbd1                                  FDISK Partition Editor
> DISK Geometry:  0 cyls/0 heads/0 sectors = 0 sectors (0MB)
>
> Offset       Size(ST)        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype    Flags
>
>           0  209715200  209715199        -     12     unused        0
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

  The bhyve virtio-block backend doesn't report c/h/s geometry, which is
required by the 8.4 installer. You can work around this by using the 'G'
command to enter a fake geometry that will give the size of the device.

> This is using the 8.4 Release disc1 iso on
> 11-CURRENT r264056. I'm using virtio-blk for both the cd and hd. Should this be
> working?

  Not cleanly :( I have an 8.4/i386 disk image so I managed to get
through it at one point: can't remember what the workarounds were
though. Think I did a network install with the minimal ISO.

later,

Peter.