Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 11:19:28 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        guido@gvr.gvr.org (guido), nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: card removal problems

> An update: I tried to remove 2 modem cards for a couple of times.
> The Nokia one (irq3) did lock up my system each time (I tried 3 times).
> The other one (angia) went ok for 2 times. Note that in the lockup
> case, nothing is printed on the console.

If you feel like patching things, try putting a test in the sio
driver's interrupt handler that checks the 'gone' flag, and puke if it
gets an interrupt when the card is 'gone'.  It should also perform some
basic sanity checks on the data it's getting; the sio interrupt is
handled by a fast interrupt handler which will preclude (AFAIK) any
other interrupt handler from running.  If the modem generates an
interrupt as it goes, it's possible that it's spinning forever in the
handler.

If you want to experiment with this, remove the RI_FAST flag from
sioattach().  You should then be able to break into DDB inside siointr1().

mike