Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:16:14 +0300
From:      Sergey Kandaurov <pluknet@gmail.com>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kill(2) man page: ESRCH

On 15 March 2012 03:43, Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick question. The kill(2) man page says:
>
> =A0 =A0 The kill() system call will fail and no signal will be sent if:
>
> =A0 =A0 [ESRCH] =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0The process id was given as 0 but =
the sending process
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0does not have a process gr=
oup.

> My question is: is this possible? I thought all processes have a process
> group. POSIX also doesn't mention anything about this case specifically.
> Shall I zap this?

man killpg(2) should probably be updated as well (and is somewhat
referenced from man kill(2):
      If pid is zero:
             The sig signal is sent to all processes whose group ID is equa=
             to the process group ID of the sender, and for which the proce=
ss
             has permission; this is a variant of killpg(2).
). Currently killpg(2) says:
     [ESRCH]            The process group was given as 0 but the sending
                        process does not have a process group.

--=20
wbr,
pluknet