Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:24:40 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
Cc:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>, Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [PRIVATE] Re: Getting ntp to bind only to a certain IP address

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 09:44:00AM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> From: "BSD Freak" <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
> > No I tried twice and got no reply :-(
> >
> > From: Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
> > > I saw no reply on the list. Did you perhaps get one privately?
> > > Happens sometimes to me. And I would very much like to have an
> > > answer to your question myself.

> I don't know any way - and all the man pages make no reference to such a
> possibility.  I use ipfw and only allow connections to the specific IP
> address, or via the specific NIC.

Seems that there isn't any way to control how ntpd binds to interfaces
--- if you look at the source code in
/usr/src/contrib/ntp/ntpd/ntp_config.c, there aren't any controls that
could control that sort of thing.

The closest possibility available is the 'restrict' command, which you
can use to prevent ntpd responding to network addresses accessible
through particular interfaces, or like Patrick says, use a firewall to
block the traffic:

    add 999 add deny udp from any 123 to any 123 via xl0

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK