Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 20:17:36 -0700
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID: How does it work? (clueless about RAID)

Okay, this might be one of those really dumb questions.  I'm sure the
answer can be found somewhere, although I'm not sure where really to start
looking, but here it goes.

I know what RAID stands for, and I sort of know what it does.  Where I'm
unclear is if it's a hardware thing, or a softare thing that controls it
all.  At work we have and AS/400 with RAID 5.  We lost a disk, replaced it,
and then the OS rebuilt it.

What I've understood until now, RAID 5 is a multiple disk array which acts
like one big disk, and the data is scattered throughout the disks.  Am I
right, or completely wrong?

Okay, say if I was going to build a mega WebServer using FreeBSD and I
wanted to utilize RAID 5 for data protection and stuff.  I'm sure first I'd
need a SCSI adapter.  Does it have to be a special one?  When I install
FreeBSD how does it know that I'm using RAID 5?  Is that something that I
set in the SCSI BIOS or something.

I really need a RAID tutorial, because I'm making things move and groove at
my workplace.  We'll be needing a WebServer soon, and I want to make sure
it's stable and that my data is safe.

Also, any suggestions on good tape backup drives?

Joey