Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:26:28 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Pavel V. Antipov" <pavel@ikar.elect.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp troubles

> Hi,
>
> i tring to adjust my ppp server (FreeBSD) and i have the following
> message in the ppp.log:
[.....]

It means that ppp called ioctl(fd, TIOCMGET, ...) and got ENOTTY.
This can only happen if you've got a ``set speed sync'' in your
configuration and aren't using a tty AFAICT.

Ppp assumes that synchronous devices are ttys.  This is mainly
because the synchronous code in ppp is horribly broken, and will most
likely remain that way 'till phk sends me those sync cards he
promised to send me ;-)

> Apr 17 11:46:36 ppp ppp[259]: Phase: ioctl error (Inappropriate ioctl for device)!
> **********************WHAT DOES IT MEAN ? HOW TO CORRECT IT ?*********
>
> Thank you
> 			Pavel
> 			E-mail:pavel@ikar.elect.ru