Date:      18 Feb 2001 16:53:41 -0500
From:      Derek Tattersall <dlt@mebtel.net>
To:        "Alexey V. Neyman" <avn@ns.any.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asus A7V133

"Alexey V. Neyman" <avn@ns.any.ru> writes:

> hello there!
>
> [ in case of answers from questions@, please, keep cc'ing me ]
>
> I tried to install FreeBSD 4.2-R on a
> Asus A7V133/Athlon Thunderbird 850MHz/Fujitsu MPE3136AH (udma/66),
> and noticed the following:
> the system installs and runs smoothly, when the hard disk is attached to
> secondary (Promise UDMA100/RAID0) controller. When it's at primary
> controller, it detects disk properly. But when it tries to write partition
> data on it, it makes some tries like:
> ad0: WRITE timeout tag=0
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
> and then panics with message `going nowhere without my init'.
>
> Seems that new Asus A7V133 has broken primary IDE controller. Have anybody
> met with something like this?
>
> FYI: 3.5.1-R bootable CD does not boot at all - it dumps registers and
> halts system.
> FYI2: Windows ME installs and operates even when disk is installed as
> primary master. Maybe it just silently downgrades from udma/66 to
> something lower?
>
> # Alexey

I have a similar setup: ASUS A7V 1Ghz Athlon IBM ultrastor IDE hard
drive, and I had no problems whatsoever with the drive installed on
either controller.  I also installed Red Hat 7 on the primary
controller, as it did not support the UDMA 66 controller.  I now have
4.2 Stable and Red Hat Public Beta installed on the drive connected to
the Promise controller.

Sounds to me like something is a little strange with your hard drive
or the BIOS setup.

--
Derek Tattersall			dlt@mebtel.net