Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:12:57 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        "Questions @ FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Athlon motherboard for 5.0?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:17:41AM +0530, Gautham Ganapathy wrote:
> On Sunday, December 08, 2002 2:01 AM, Cliff L. Biffle wrote
> >
> > I'm running 5.0-DP2 on an Asus motherboard with the Apollo
> > KT133 chipset.  The
> > chipset is notoriously buggy, according to the folks on
> > -current, and I've
> > been having trouble with the USB and ATA controllers -- though it's
> > intermittent and hard to reproduce.
> >
> > I've stumbled across a new 1.4Ghz Athlon Thunderbird chip,
> > which doesn't work
> > in my older motherboard.  So, I'm in the market for a mobo.
> > It's for a
> > workstation, and integrated graphics and sound are not
> > desired.  It'd be nice
> > if it took PC133 SDRAM, since I have 768MB here, but DDR is okay if
> > necessary.  But most importantly, everything on the
> > motherboard needs to have
> > good support in 5.0.  Support in 4-stable is nice, but hardly
> > a requirement.
> > If this means sticking with an older, more conservative chipset, and
> > sacrificing things like USB 2.0, Firewire, or fast AGP, it
> > doesn't bother me
> > at all.  I'm not a gamer or a video producer; my motherboard
> > is used solely
> > to connect my CPU to RAM and cards. :-)
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> Don't know about 5.0. I am currently running 4.7-RELEASE on an ASUS
> A7V333 with a 850 MHz Athlon TBird. Have had no problems so far with
> audio/video/LAN... There were some problems with the chipset when I was
> using 4.5-RELEASE, but i think they were fixed in 4.7

I have a machine built around the A7V333-X using An Athlon 2000+XP. It
came with onboard sound and Lan (which is not why I bought it). The
sound works fine, the LAN not (but that does not worry me too much), It
works fine otherwise. I had some initial problems due to the fact I made the
mistake of building the machine on the floor instead of an a table while
sitting in a comfy chair, this caused me to read some jumper settings
the wrong way around .. *sigh*. I use DDR333 memory in it.

The BIOS was a bit cranky at first, seeming to forget things..but that
problem has gone away. Oh, the important part of your question .. 5.0 ..
yes it runs on it. Although my testing has hardly been exhaustive yet,

One of the problems I find with ASUS motherboards is that you get
contradictory information on their web-site and in publicity blurb about
what boards support what. In one place it would imply that my
combination should not work well, in another place fine.

I hesitate to recommend it, not because I have problems with it, but
because for something like 5.0 you should probably get as many opinions
as possible. Also 5.0 is quite new territory for me.

Usually, since I now build my own network computers I do a test of
installing FreeBSD, Linux and Windows on it. Apart from some issues I
have questioned, but sadly received no reply about yet, concerning
co-habitation of 4.7 and 5.0 on the same disk, and Linux moaning inconsequentially
about not knowing what kind of South Bridge it had, Windows was by far and
away the most problematic,

Well I built it to eventually become a low traffic web/ftp server, so that is the way
I am looking at it.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson