Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:58:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To:        Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Cc:        <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Re[4]: Using DNAT and DNS round-robin

Hi,

I haven't really been following this so feel free to ignore me, but I
suspect what's being proposed is the following:

Let's say you have the following web servers

Virtual
-------
www.v1.com
www.v2.com
www.v3.com

Real
----
www.r1.com
www.r2.com
www.r3.com

and 2 web hosts and you are on net 192.168.1.0

Host 1 should be configured with 4 IP addresses: 192.168.1.1-4
Host 2 would be configured with 4 IP addresses: 192.168.1.5-8

Your web servers would be set up with the virtual servers on each host
using one address and assigning a separate address for each "real" server.
The DNS setup will make this obvious (I hope).

DNS should be set up as follows:

www.v1.com = 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.5
www.v2.com = 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.5
www.v3.com = 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.5

www.r1.com = 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.6
www.r2.com = 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.7
www.r3.com = 192.168.1.4, 192.168.1.8

DNS round-robin will help "spread the load". Note that most browsers
ignore any TTL settings and tend to "permanently" cache a successful name
lookup.

Hope this helps.

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Dustin Puryear wrote:

> > > Why not just have the firewall act as classic router like all other
> > > people out there do it?
>
> Gabriel, after rereading your message I am now definately curious how you go
> about this when using multiple webservers for both IP- and name-based
> virtual hosting. Okay, so I setup my firewall to route any packets destined
> for network xyz to my internal web servers. These web servers may be using
> IP- or name-based virtual hosting. Now how do I configure the interfaces on
> the internal web servers?
>
> Since each web server needs to be able to serve any of the websites, how do
> I handle each web server needing to have an IP alias for one of our IP-based
> virtual host? I think that is what is confusing me. If it was just
> named-based virtual hosting there wouldn't be an issue in my mind.

Colin