Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 20:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        gummibear@we.mediaone.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID: How does it work? (clueless about RAID)

> What I've understood until now, RAID 5 is a multiple disk array which acts
> like one big disk, and the data is scattered throughout the disks.  Am I
> right, or completely wrong?

	There are different types of RAID. RAID 0 through RAID 5. I wish
I could find my referances on this but what I remeber is that each level
could be a combination of software or hardware, with RAID 5 being the
most fault-tolerant (and expensive,) while RAID 0 is the least.

> Okay, say if I was going to build a mega WebServer using FreeBSD and I
> wanted to utilize RAID 5 for data protection and stuff.  I'm sure first I'd
> need a SCSI adapter.  Does it have to be a special one?  When I install
> FreeBSD how does it know that I'm using RAID 5?  Is that something that I
> set in the SCSI BIOS or something.

	It depends on what level of protection you want and can afford.
Around my office we simply do dual SCSI controllers with mirrored drives
in hot swappable drive bays. We don't need the protection a full RAID 5
system. I personally think this is the kind of solution you should look
at for a simple web server.

> I really need a RAID tutorial, because I'm making things move and groove at
> my workplace.  We'll be needing a WebServer soon, and I want to make sure
> it's stable and that my data is safe.
>
> Also, any suggestions on good tape backup drives?

	Make a back-up server. I've never been a fan of tape backups, way
to many things can go wrong for reliable protection. You could have two
load sharing servers, if one goes down the other one takes everything
over. That way you wouldn't be down at all, simply running slower. :)

					Rick