Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:11:29 +0100
From:      "bernhard valenti" <bernhard.valenti@gmx.net>
To:        <sos@freebsd.dk>, "Nils Holland" <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        "Matthew Dillon" <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IDE Prefetch Mode... (was: VIA crashes)

> It seems Nils Holland wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:16:32PM -0800, Matthew Dillon stood up and
spoke:
> > >     I'm CCing Soren to make sure he sees this.
> > >
> > >     This is good news!
> >
> > It indeed is! However, I'm doing some more testing before I say that
> > disabling IDE Prefetch along with using Soren's 686B patch is the
ultimate
> > solution.
>
> Hmm, the BIOS must do more that just toggle prefetch, since the ATA
> driver explicitly turns *on* prefetch :)
>
> > As I have said on multiple purposes, I guess my mainboard's BIOS is a
> > little more messed up than what is supposed to be standard ;-) This can
> > also be seen by the fact that I need to put some light load on my hard
disk
> > in order to get an acceptably smoothly-moving picture from my TV capture
> > card (though Soren's fix has acceptably fixed this problem by now, which
> > really appreciate!)

i have the same problem with my TV card, it doesnt only happen with HD
activity, but also when building a port on a nfs mounted ports tree(so only
network activity). and i think that i had the same problem when using a
board with intel chipset.

> Indeed, but we really should figure out what that problem is all about.
> What exact make and model is that board and the TV tuner ?? I'll see
> if I can get ahold of a semilar setup somehow...

my card is a miro pctv(bt848) with temic pal tuner, mainboard is a abit
kt7-raid.

regards,
bernhard