Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:28:55 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: any way to boot from compactflash ?

> > I don't know about CompactFlash in particular, which probably denotes
> > a form factor, but I've got some systems that boot from flash which
> > look like an IDE disk.  In my case, I believe the flash has a
> > form factor similar to a laptop IDE drive (e.g., a *really* small connector)
> > and is just connected to an IDE interface.
> >
> > BTW, this is on a Pentium CompactPCI CPU board from Motorola.  I believe it's
> > also from SanDisk.  I get this feeling that they've got the same sorta thing,
> > wrapped up in differently shaped plastic.
>
> the other msg in this thread suggested a product from SanDisk, but it
> is listed under OEM so i have no idea on how to get it...
>
> If there is a good soul on this list who can help get me one...

If you've found the device you need in the OEM section, you can probably
purchase it from one of their distributers.  I took a quick look at the
list, and at least in the US, I've personally bought stuff from Arrow
Electronics.  Most of the industrial distributers will sell to you and me;
assuming you meet their minimum order, which is typicaly something like
US$50 or US$100.  In fact, in most cases they will accept a credit card
number for payment.

They had these Italian two distributers listed in their OEM "How to
Buy" page:

		Italy - Contradata Milano SRL
                Tel: +390-39-230-1492 Fax: +390-39-230-1489
                email: gdamian@contradata.it

                Italy - Tekelec
                Tel: +39-025803951 Fax: +39-0258039530
                email: mcariati@tekelec.it

I suspect they'd be happy to take your money.  Most of these distributers
are used to selling smaller quantities for engineering purposes, rather
than insisting on huge quantities.

louie