Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 1995 14:20:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
Cc:        Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>, hackers@freebsd.org, n1epo4tl@ibmmail.com
Subject:   Re: token ring anyone

> Instead of writing token ring drivers, I think it would be a far better
> investment to write NDIS3 miniport wrapper code for FreeBSD but I digress.

Care to elaborate? :-)

> So in essence, until the pain of not having Token Ring exceeds the pain
> threshold of implementation it's unlikely to be done.

Indeed, and the pain of not having Token Ring generally diminishes
with each passing day as more and more TR user's accept the inevitable
and bail out to Ethernet.

I'm not saying that Token Ring doesn't have its faithful adherants or
some fairly indisputable strenghs (like actually approaching
reasonable link utilization efficiency or having a spare ~5Mb/sec to
play with) but it's still just not enough to break the ethernet
barrier.  So until I see someone actually in possession of an IBM or
Madge TR card *and* the hacking skills to do the rest come forward,
I'll assume that the point is entirely moot.

					Jordan