Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:33:18 -0700
From:      "Henry Stapp" <hstapp@redchannel.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   help with stty

Hi All,

This is kind of involved, so thanks in advance to you helpful souls out
there...

The Problem:
I can't seem to get the serial port to work right.

The setup:
I've got a three wire serial cable hooked up to COM1 (cuaa0). The other end
is hooked up to an AIX (:P) host. I know the cable is working, 'cuz I get a
login prompt on it from the AIX host on it when I plug it into a PC. I've
been trying various settings on cuaa0, cuaia0 and cuala0 using "cu -l
/dev/cuaa0" to connect to the port. I saw the prompt _once_ when I
unplugged the cable and plugged it back in, so I know the port works, it's
just not set up quite right.

What I've tried:
I've tried just about every setting I can think of, including clocal and
-crtscts. The three devices for one port are kind of confusing, I'm not
even sure half the time if what I'm doing is having any effect.... do I
need to reboot for changes in cuala0 to work?

What I need (aside from 4 Advils):
I need to know the which settings to use and which device to set. Once I
get it set I'm going to leave the connection set up permanently, so using
cuala0 would be ok (i guess)....

Thanks a zillion :)

Henry Stapp