Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 2021 14:00:31 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Ruben van Staveren <ruben@verweg.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 13.0 RC1 UEFI RAID-10 boot problems under VMware Fusio

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 8:56 AM Ruben van Staveren via freebsd-stable <
freebsd-stable@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> With FreeBSD 13 getting near release I was trying out a new hardware setu=
> for a future upgrade, in where a zfs SATA RAID-10 array would be accelate=
> by some NVME devices for cache, log, and special meta data.
>
> However, booting the setup under VMWare fusion gives me a lot of zio_read
> error: 5 / ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable whereas in
> VirtualBox using the same VMDKs the setup boots without issue, both in UE=
FI
> mode
>
> I used the guided ZFS install, GPT UEFI only, and choose RAID-10 and zero
> swap as I want to use the NVME devices for that later on.
>
> when on the loader prompt lsdev / lszfs / ls works through latter two
> throw out zio_read error: 5 but show recognisable output (zfs filesystems=
,
> files)
>

> disk0 through 4 are the SATA disks with only an EFI and ZFS GPT partition
> each, disk4/5 is reserved for the special vdevs (but not in use yet) and
> swap
>
> If I press escape and end up in VMWare=E2=80=99s UEFI setup screen I can =
boot from
> any ada*p1 drive and continue as normal.
> Is UEFI with OpenZFS too new, or is this an issue in VMWare?
>

> Also, I=E2=80=99m missing /boot/*efifat* in FreeBSD13. What is the proced=
ure for
> updating EFI loaders?

They have been removed because they are no longer needed (filesystem images
for boot blocks trouble me too).

mount -t msdos /dev/da0pX /mnt
mv /mnt/efi/boot/bootx64.efi /mnt/efi/boot/bootx64-old.efi
cp /boot/loader.efi /mnt/efi/boot/bootx64.efi

The ESP on UEFI systems is just a FAT filesystem.

One issue you may run into is the size of the partition. If it is tiny,
you'll likely have to create a new ESP. Using /boot/boot1.efi may help and
can be used in the last step instead of loader.efi, but it's much less
flexible than loader.efi.

Warner