Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:12:10 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports Options Paper

Hi,

well, since you asked for it :)

The files/options idea sounds really great. I hope it can be made so that
the language-specific ports can also be collapsed into their parents.
That would certainly save space on my disk & time during cvsup...

However I've got one remark about 'make upgrade':

> How can we properly support the ``make upgrade'' target?  Now that we have
> PORTREVISION/PORTEPOCH, we can ensure that new versions of packages will
> always have a PKGNAME greater than previous ones.  Hence, we can simply
> deinstall and install the new ports.
I take it you also need to check for library dependencies? Otherwise some ports
get their libraries upgraded without reinstalling the ports themselves.

Case in point: I had gnumeric & guile installed. A new version of guile
was present, I upgraded guile and found out that gnumeric was linked
to libguile.so.6 (the old guile) while the new port installed libguile.so.9.
So I had to reinstall gnumeric (and possibly others).

What would be a nice solution for this (and other dependencies of this
kind, ie. a run dependency on a specific version of another program)?

--Stijn