Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:05:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: timed out while idle?

By the way, I found another case.  First, some background.  Some of
our SCSI strings are double-ended, i.e., have two SCSI adapters on
both ends.  Due to physical constraints, they don't have external
terminators.  So they use the SCSI adapters' termination.

This setup works pretty well normally, even when one machine is
rebooted (Justin, thanks for fixing a problem of unexpected bus resets
a few years back).  However, if one of the machines is brought down
(the "press any key to reboot" prompt), I start seeing timeouts on the
other machine.

===
(da33:ahc2:0:1:0): SCB 0x17 - timed out in datain phase, SCSISIGI == 0x44
SEQADDR == 0x110
SSTAT1 == 0x2
(da33:ahc2:0:1:0): BDR message in message buffer
(da33:ahc2:0:1:0): SCB 0x17 - timed out in datain phase, SCSISIGI == 0x54
SEQADDR == 0x110
SSTAT1 == 0x2
(da33:ahc2:0:1:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
===

I'm assuming this is because the termination went away.  After I hit
return to reboot it, the other machine recovers as if nothing
happened.

So, my question is: is it possible to keep the termination settings
even when the operating system shut down, or is this just the way the
adapters are designed?

Thanks
Satoshi