Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:27:42 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        mark@plato.ucsalf.ac.uk (Mark Powell)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does Adaptec 7880 Ultra support simultaneous wide and narrow transfers?

>$ dd if=/dev/sd0c of=/dev/sd1c bs=512k

dd is a linear program.  It will read all 512k from the source then write
all 512k to the destination then loop.  You should ensure that 512k divides
evenly into the total capacity of the drive too.  You will probably see
better performance if you use an 8 or 16k buffer.

>If I turn on WIDE negotiation for the W drive, the kernel enables 16bit transf
>ers:

>However, the same command causes the following SCSI errors on the console:
>
>sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x48
>ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #2. 2 SCBs aborted
>sd0(ahc0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
>sd0(ahc0:0:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred field
>replaceable unit: 14

When was the last time you updated your stable?  This sounds like a bug
I fixed on June 8th.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations