Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:06:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS Branches hits again!

[ PRCS ]

> Some things it yet lacks are:
>
> 1) a client server environment

Becoming more important as FreeBSD developers are now starting to use
it.

> 2) recursive module semantics

Pretty much unused.

> 3) developer notification services (mailing-list notification, for
>    example) and other command hooks (I want programmable extensions
>    for the purpose of implementing these and the stuff below).

This is pretty much critical for FreeBSD, as well as many of the other
projects I use CVS for.  Having a 'log' trail is good, as well as
sending message to the developers.

> Some things that it lacks and should be left to policy:
> 1) file locking such as CVS's watch and edit (are you, the freebsd
>    developers, using it?)

Not really important to me.

> 2) checkout histories such as CVS's history command (which I beleive
>    you have disabled)

Not so important for me or the projects I've used it on.

> Some advantages:
> 1) Better branching model.

Can you expound on this a bit?

> 2) Atomic operations (this is this single most losing feature of CVS,
>    IMHO).

No kidding.

> 5) control over symbolic links and keyword replacement, including custom
>    keywords.

CVS has this control, though it isn't well documented.

Nate