Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:38:31 -0500
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        "A.K" <blorb@biosys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: This sucks!

"A.K" wrote:

> I guess I got some people's attention. Wow. 4 replies in 5 minutes.
> OK I know my e-mail was a little impolite but the whole FreeBSD installation
> updating Xwindows searching for help in the docs got me a headache really.
> I was really frustrated because I was looking forward to using FreeBSD because
>
> it is perfect for all my dedicated servers.
> Sorry people!
>
> So here's the list of my problems.
> 1) When I boot from CD ROM and try to install I skipped the Kernel config and
> continued with the installation. When the screen says "probing for devices" it
>
> hangs. I somehow managed to get past this screen but I forgot what I did.
> 2) After the installation was complete I tried to get Xwindows to run. It
> didn'T work because my video Card was not supported. So I updated the Xwindows
>
> and followed the instructions. after this I started Xwindows and I got a black
>
> screen with some leftovers of shell windows I guess (couldn't recognize it)
> and I couldn't get out of it.
> 3) I installed Apache from the package list but it didn't respond to my
> testing from the other machine on my LAN. (Telnet, FTP and stuff is working so
>
> it is not a network problem)
> 4) I couldn't use pico although I guess I installed it because I installed
> everything from the CD
> 5) How do I enable FTP/TELNET access to the root user?
>
> I hope you can help me now because I would really like to use FreeBSD.
> Thanks
> Alex
>
> Kevin Sheehan wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 01:08:03AM +0100, A.K wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I purchased FreeBSD because my ISP runs it on my dedicated servers. So i
> > > thought why not use it at home on my LAN for testing and stuff.
> > > I invested the 40 bucks and ordered FreeBSD 3.0. But now after 8 hours
> > > of work and installation I'm kinda fed up with it. Nothing works. Apache
> > > doesn't work, Xwindows doesn't work (although I updated it to support
> > > all my hardware) and the whole directories and everything look different
> > > from my webserver. And I also want to complain about all the hardware
> > > and installation routines. They suck. I guess you have to be an expert
> > > already only to get FreeBSD installed and working.
> > > I recommend you take a look at Turbolinux. They know how to make the
> > > installation easy and understandable for non linux/unix experts.
> > > So I will delete FreeBSD and install Turbolinux again if I can't find
> > > help with these problems anywhere. I should have given the 40 bucks to a
> > > bum this would have been a better investment.
> > > Best regards
> > > Alex
> > >

> > Were you after help or were you just venting?
Ok, I first suggest a little <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> how-to.
http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/FAQ/how-to-ask-en.html
Please, be patient: people are doing it for fun, and it's not IRC.

- You don't say "which" release of FreeBSD. 2.2.8, 3.0.0, 3.1.0?
- You don't say "where" it hang at boot. (Which device hang...) Show us
the log.

I would suggest you to create two boot floppies, using the instructions
there:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html
Section 2. and 3.
You first boot with those boot floppies, and then select the CD-ROM has
the media in the config (if it boot...)
At the boot, choose the visual kernel config, and remove everything
that's not useful, try everything. Keep only what's vital (including the
ethernet card).

If you succesfully boot, delete your old FreeBSD partition, make a new
one, then select the novice install, choose the "kernel package" or
something like that. It's something _without_ X-Window. Then install the
port collections, and don't install packages.

For the following section, note that FreeBSD provide "vi" and "ee". If
you hate "vi", try "ee" which is really more easy(but less powerful:-).

After that, you will have a clean system. Make sure it's connected to
the net and:

$ su
Password:
# cd /usr/ports/www/apache13
# make install clean
...Those command show the power of the port collection: it will
fetch/patch/install/clean Apache...
# cd /usr/local/etc/apache
# vi httpd.conf
...make sure everything is right, and use ee if you hate vi...
# cd /usr/local/sbin
# ./httpd
...exec apache...

You can do the same with XFree86 and a window manager...
Xfree86 is located there: /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
Windows manager are there:
/usr/ports/x11-wm/name_of_your_favorite_window_manager
By the way, Xfree86 is the same for linux and FreeBSD. I think you will
have trouble with both.

And finally, it's not a good idea to add root in the ftp/telnet access.
It's not secure. It's better to add your user in the wheel group (edit
/etc/group and add your user's name to the wheel group:
wheel:*:0:root,cam,malartre,dlc) and to telnet to your box under a user
name and then to "su" to the root account:
$ su
Password: ...enter your root password...
#
Thank You
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][French piss me off - Cartman, South Park]