Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 1999 22:14:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dave Walton <walton@nordicrecords.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO and NICs

In message <19990709022308.24745.qmail@modgud.nordicrecords.com> Dave Walton writes:
: Does PAO support CardBus cards?

No.  It does not.  The only cardbus support I've seen for FreeBSD is
in newconfig project for FreeBSD.  I've had a few problems with hot
plugging, but other than that detail, it does seem to work, at least
with my PC Card cards (I have no cardbus cards).  I've not tried to
track down the problem with hotplugging (since I don't normally run
the newconfig kernel).

: the 3Com 3CXFE575BT, but from what I can tell it may not be supported.  Has
: anyone had any experience with this card?

I believe that

ep*	at cardbus? dev ? func ?        # 3Com 3c575TX Ethernet
xl*	at cardbus? dev ? func ?        # 3Com 3c575TX and 3c575BTX Ethernet

are the cards that are supported, at least judging from the config
file.  How these cards differ from the 3CXFE575BT, if at all, is
beyond me.  The product codes that are supported are 0x5057 and 0x5157
(you can get these with pccardc dumpcis, if you already have the
card).

For information on the newconfig project, see
	http://www.jp.freebsd.org/newconfig/

The newconfig code for pccard and cardbus support is forming the basis
for my work on newbusifying the pccard stuff, writing newconfig shims,
and other infrastructure issues surrounding newconfig driver's
expectations.

Warner